History of Computing – Engineered Memory
- Learn about computer engineering.
- Learn about product testing.
- Learn about computing history.
- Learn about meeting the needs of society.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- computer engineering and planning
- computing history
- problem solving
Students learn how floppy disks work and explore how they hold up in a variety of situations. Student teams are then challenged with evaluating and deciding whether to include or exclude a floppy disk drive in a new computer designed to be used by schools all over the world. They also develop their own punch card system and make their own punch cards. Student teams present their recommendations to other teams.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
- Student Resource Sheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.
Full Lesson Plan PDF