- Learn about engineering design.
- Learn about ship design and engineering.
- Learn about world records.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- naval engineering and marine architecture
- engineering testing
- problem solving
Student teams learn how engineers have competed in a race for speed and then design their own speedboat out of everyday items, considering the fastest and most stable propulsion system they can create. They design their speedboat first on paper, build their boat, test and time it against those of other student teams, reflect on the challenge, and present to their class.
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.