- Learn about assistive devices and technology.
- Learn about engineering design and redesign.
- Learn how engineering can help solve society’s challenges.
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving.
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- assistive devices and technology
- interaction of technology and societal issues
- engineering design
Students explore the impact of assistive technology on meeting the needs of society. They work in teams to reengineer an assistive device — in this case a cane — to meet the needs of a client. They develop a new design with features to assist the client’s specific needs, present new designs to their class, and older students will develop a prototype of their design.
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.