- Learn about different types of simple machines.
- Be able to identify simple machines as part of daily life.
- Build a simple machine.
As a result of the activities, all students should develop an understanding of:
- Properties of objects and materials
- Position and motion of objects
- The position and motion of objects can be changed by pushing or pulling. The amount of change is related to the strength of the push or pull.
Three student handouts are provided for advance review:
- Introduction To Simple Machines
- Types of Simple Machines
- What is Work? (Worksheet)
Four student activities are provided:
- Are These Machines?
- Jumping Coin Experiment
- Make Your Own Inclined Plane
- You are the Engineer: Problem Solving with Simple Machines
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.